Getting families to enjoy mathematics outside school through a series of fun and engaging, high-quality challenges is the goal of Figure This!.
To meet the need to master the higher-level concepts and approaches to problem solving that are key to success in work and everyday life, the NCTM, in cooperation with the National Action Council for Minorities in Engineering, Widmeyer Communications, and the Learning First Alliance, launched Figure This!.
Figure This! presents interesting middle school mathematics challenges for families to do at home and emphasizes the importance of high-quality math education.
Each challenge features:
- A description of the important math involved
- A note on where the math is used in the real world
- A hint to get started
- Complete solutions
- A "Try This" section
- Additional related problems with answers
- Questions to think about
- Fun facts related to the math
- Resources for further exploration
In the Family Corner, Figure This! offers family support materials including:
- Sample questions to ask teachers and administrators about the school setting
- Information on how to prepare students for continuing education
- Suggestions to help with math homework
- Information on the changes in mathematics education
- Examples of math in literature.
Funding for Figure This! was provided by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the U.S. Department of Education.
DISCLOSURE OF MATERIAL CONNECTION: http://cmp.ly/0